Thursday, August 21, 2014

August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up

Did you see the challenge I did last month? We swapped a yard of fabric and had to create something from it. If you missed that post, you can check it out here! This month it was an idea that we swapped, fun!!

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel


My Theme is Cover Up. So I did a hooded towel for little man! My first time sewing with terry cloth, and my first time using the serger that my mom gave me! I wont lie. It took me forever to thread the darn thing. Then it took a while to figure out how to get a seam. Once I got the hang of it, it was fun. I did learn that you cannot get 4 layers of terry cloth through the serger. Just in case you were wondering...

So thankful for the ladies putting this together. I would not have attempted this without the little push!

Mystery Challenge

I gave Ula over at Lulu and Celeste the theme of morpho butterfly/rainforest.
I got my idea from Irene over at Sugaridoo. You should check out her Shop on Craftsy, I love her amigurumi patterns! So cute!

I knew what I wanted to do the moment I got the theme from Irene. I have been meaning to make little man some new hooded towels because he loves his hooded towels, but he has outgrown all the baby ones which is most of them! They really should make those baby ones a little bit bigger.

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel


I bought 3 pretty decent sized bath towels from Walmart. There were only a little over $2 per towel. Not bad when considering a hooded towel is about 2-3 times as much.

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel

I used one towel to cut out the hood and a contrasting towel for the spikes. I cut the other towel in half and sewed it back together with the spikes... I was going to stuff those spikes with poly-fil, but hubby thought that would be a little silly for just a towel. so, no stuffing. The colors... Nikolai picked out the colors. I didn't even realize they were kind of Christmas-y until putting them in the washing machine. I love it. :)

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel

I just used my triangle ruler for the spikes, but took them in at the bottom so they were kind of like a jewel shape. it was fun sewing them together using the serger. I had to go back over some of the seams so many times. But I still think they turned out cute. Little man says it looks like a stegosaurus. So stegosaurus towel it is.

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel


and so proud of my first time serging!

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel

And one more... I think this picture is one of my favorites!

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel

We had to hurry, this thunderstorm cloud was moving in! I love desert monsoons!

The Berry Bunch: August Mystery Challenge: Cover Up: Dinosaur Hooded Towel


Don't forget to check out these other lovely ladies and what they came up with for their mystery theme!

Friends Stitched Together - History of Flight - 8/17
Felt with Love Designs - Under the Sea - 8/18
Knot Sew Normal - Fruit - 8/19
Friends Stitched Together - My Little Pony - 8/20
The Berry Bunch - Cover Up - 8/21
Pensebrox - Titanic - 8/22
Tangible Pursuits - London Dapper - 8/23
Rebel and Malice - Disco - 8/24
Sewing Sober - Espionage - 8/25
Sugaridoo - Musical Instruments - 8/26
Lulu and Celeste - Morpho Butterfly/Rainforest - 8/27
Paisley Roots - Classic Summer Movies - 8/28
Create 3.5 - Morocco - 8/29
Mae&K - Solar System - 8/30
The Sewing Sparrow - Safari - 8/31

Happy Sewing!

10 comments:

  1. LOVE it Jessi!! I would have had a hard time with this theme, but I love what you did! Thanks for playing with us :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! :) And thanks for inviting me to join in on the fun!

      Delete
  2. I love it!! I have been wanting to try making a hooded towel for awhile now. LOVE the dino spikes! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome coverup! I need a dino coverup for mom haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! After I finished it I was wearing it around the house. I showed these pics to hubby and his response was, "wow, that towel looks so much bigger on him!" Lol :)

      Delete
  4. So cute! I need to make one of those for my daughter. I think she'd love it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my little blog blurbs, and thanks doubly for taking the time to make a comment!
I try to comment back, so if you don't have an email, either leave it here or check back later! :)