Thursday, December 19, 2013

Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}

Ok. I have been needing to make little man some pants and I want to re-purpose some of our old pants. I have a huge stack of them sitting in our bedroom just taking up space and looking... well... Messy...

And, lets face it, even though we live in the desert the winters can get pretty chilly, especially when you are used to 100+ degree weather. Also, I want to take Nikolai to a part of the city where the houses all decorate with Christmas lights... Walking around at night; it's just too cold for a 2 (almost 3) year old.

So, what better than lined pants? Removable lined pants! I was going to use fleece but as I was going through my fabric stash we saw some dinosaur flannel. How wonderful is that? Nikolai was so happy when he saw that! Brandon asked if he wanted pants made with it and Nikolai just beamed! So, dinosaur flannel it is then!

The Berry Bunch: Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}The Berry Bunch: Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}

The Shwin Designs Number 9 Trousers are fairly simple to put together and lend themselves to so many options! 

Here is what I did...

I repurposed an old pair of Brandon's khakis that no longer fit (This Mama Makes Stuff has a pretty good tutorial). I kept the zipper and front crotch seam, but cut the back at the pockets. I added side cargo pockets (perfect for storing toys)...

The Berry Bunch: Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}

The Berry Bunch: Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}

The Berry Bunch: Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}

I love how the cuffs at the bottom look when they are together. I added snaps at the waist under the belt loops to attach the lining. Good thing it was a bitty chilly from the wind outside today, otherwise it would have been too hot (we have been in the upper 70's this week, hurrah desert weather!)...

The Berry Bunch: Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}

I made a second pair out of the dinosaur flannel and kept the slant pockets but forwent the welt pocket on the back to cut down on bulk. I did a snap instead of the button in the front. Nikolai loves his dinosaur pants!

The Berry Bunch: Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}

The Berry Bunch: Shwin Designs: Number 9 Trousers: Cargo and Removable Dinosaur Lining {Flip This Pattern}

FrancesSuzanne: Flip This Pattern

*update 12/23/2013 - he has worn both pants separately twice so far (they are the ones that he goes to if they are clean) and has worn them together today to get a Christmas tree. He was so excited, "They work, mommy! I'm not cold!" he had exclaimed! :) I am so excited and proud! :)

7 comments:

  1. Great idea for transitioning into seasons and getting the most out of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Out here in the Arizona desert we usually don't get to cold, so something like this is more useful than fully lined pants! I'm so excited to use them!

      Delete
  2. Removable lining?? Ingenious!! And, the cargo pockets are a great addition as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think this pattern makes great pocket pants! :)

      Delete
  3. What an awesome idea!!! And they are super cute too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my little blog blurbs, and thanks doubly for taking the time to make a comment!
I try to comment back, so if you don't have an email, either leave it here or check back later! :)