Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Read a Book: The Maltese Falcon on Audio {An Audio Book Review}


So, one of my goals for this year is to read 30 books. And after reading some others' reading goals, I thought I might share with you my thoughts on the stories I read. At least once a month sharing one of the books I have read and my thoughts on it (I got the idea to share from HattieLuHandmade)! The hard part was picking which book to share with you! I have enjoyed them all!

The Month of January I read:
Inside the O'briens by Lisa Genova
For the Love by Jen Hatmaker
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hamett

It was hard because I really want to share Inside the O'Briens with you. But I am deciding to go with The Maltese Falcon.



I have not seen the movie with Humphrey Bogart, nor had I read this prior. I bought a copy after I read Mildred Pierce by James M. Cain in college and felt that I needed to read more vintage crime novels. But, I never actually read the book.

The Story
I'm not going to give too much away about the story itself.

I wouldn't mind picking this one up again! It was captivating, the characters were fascinating especially the multi-layered Miss Wonderly. I pictured in my head Sam Spade as rough around the edges. But the time period of the 30s is fascinating, especially when dealing with the PI stories of the time. The story has everything I imagine for a 30's PI story: Deception, Murder, Mystery, Womanizing Romance that only the 30's can portray, conniving women with their just as dubious male counterpart.... No one is innocent or free from scrutiny.

The part that sticks out to me the most is the first scene between Sam Spade and Kasper Gutman. I found Gutman humorous and actaully kind of reminded me of someone I used to know (no longer associate with) with his round-about, 'I'm better than you', gentlemanly-type talk. But the line that sticks out the most is their toast, "Here's to plain talk and clear understanding". I found that line fascinating. Slightly the antithesis of the character himself, in reference to Gutman, and exactly the opposite of what transpires between the two characters immediately following.

The line got me to thinking about our relationships with those around us. Really, how often do we say things that either beat around the bush to how we really feel? Or it is something that we think the other person wants to hear? But even if we speak truthfully, the other people usually will read into thoughts or assume the worst when it was not the intention. But if we speak plainly, is there only one way but through clear understanding? Can we really get mad at others for feeling the way they feel, especially if they share those said emotions and thoughts?

The Audio
Actually, I am still stuck in this feeling that I still haven't actually 'read' the book as I listened to this one on audio. I've tried listening to books on tape before (books on cd/audiobook same thing right?). I always felt bored listening to the same voice over and over again. But this one was different, nice, in that it had a full cast to portray the characters. It kept me engaged and interested, but I still wonder how much I have missed through not actually looking at the words.

It was fascinating though. I was able to work on cleaning, housework, sewing, crocheting all while listening to this book. I listened straight through earbuds on my phone and loved it! It might have helped that is was an Audie Award winner book! It does make me want to see Humphrey Bogart as Sam Spade...

Tell me
Have you read/heard/seen The Maltese Falcon? What were your thoughts?
What have you read/listened to recently? Did you enjoy it?

Do you think listening to an audio book is the same thing as reading?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my little blog blurbs, and thanks doubly for taking the time to make a comment!
I try to comment back, so if you don't have an email, either leave it here or check back later! :)