Sunday, September 23, 2012

Where To Start? First Jelly Roll

I am really liking these UFO Sunday posts on Free Motion Quilting! This week I have a question!

I won this awesome fabric from swimbikequilt.com for promoting their 100 quilts for kids charity event and I have been trying to decide what to do with it! It is Fox Trails by Riley Blake and it is just so cute! I love the soft colors and the fun prints! But, I have been trying to decide what to do with this! This is my first jelly roll and I hate wasting fabric. I am not sure exactly how far this will go. Usually I just cut and sew from yardage!

But I can say that I am really looking forward to actually getting something made with this! :) Not to mention the learning experience that goes with it!

I found this cute picture off of pinterest. Isn't pinterest wonderful for finding such great ideas and for inspiration? Well, I wanted to something like it, but didn't want it to be exactly that. I had some ideas in my head that I tried coloring out on graph paper. It didn't quite work out the way that I wanted and then I came up with the idea that my husband likes best(on the right). I altered it and came up with the one I liked best (on the left)... I asked my friends on Facebook what ones they liked best and the one on the left won..
 
Then I thought the one on the right would look better with the strip removed (and it may be easier to do? so then I came up with these two...
 

So my question is which one do you like better? I like them both and I think I would be happy with either (as I was so excited that I feel I have kinda done them on my own)... I am sure these are out there somewhere... I just need help deciding...

Linking up to freemotionquilting.blogspot.com! :)

No update with Nikolai's quilt... I have been so busy with work and stuff, I haven't done much. But on a happy note, Brandon has fixed my sewing machine! So happy and thankful that my husband is so handy! :)

 

3 comments:

  1. I like the triangles! The Missouri Star Quilt Company has lots of video tutorials on how to use precuts with super easy methods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the one on the left best! Not sure why, but it feels like there's more movement to it.

    To estimate how far your jelly roll will go, cut out some templates or just samples of the pieces you will use from another fabric. Lay out the pieces over the jelly roll strips and see how many triangles you will be able to cut.

    Estimate carefully because if you overshoot and expect to cut 10 triangles and are only able to cut 8, you will obviously run out.

    So careful math, careful estimation, and careful planning and you will have a beautiful quilt!

    Cheers,

    Leah Day

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my little blog blurbs, and thanks doubly for taking the time to make a comment!
I try to comment back, so if you don't have an email, either leave it here or check back later! :)